So I decided this year to make all of the Christmas gifts I'm giving away myself. I will post every single one I make on my blog so you all can enjoy some DIY. Now for starters, this is something I wanted to give to my dad. He really likes music and we have a HUGE pile of vinyl records back at home. I remember being a kid and totally rocking on one vinyl record in particular: the B52s Love Shack. True story, I was like 5 years old or so and all I ever did was ask my dad to, pretty please, play the B52s.
So, it sounded like a lot of fun to turn some vinyl records into bowls, because, who doesn't like a fun and original bowl, right? Also this is really easy to make!
What you'll need:
- Vinyl Records (now this may sound totally weird and stupid BUT make sure to check out which records you are using. There are a lot of vinyl records out there, worth a loooot of money. So please Google first, make sure you don't miss out one some fortune.)
- a casserole or bowl you can put into the oven.
- Oven mittens. Your record won't be that hot, but your bowl and oven plate will be.
- Preheat your oven to 100 °C.
- Turn your casserole upside down and place on your oven plate. Put your vinyl record on top and put in your preheated oven. Now this is where things get interesting. Check your oven while your record is in there until you see it 'change'. Your record will start to slowly melt a little.
- This is the fun part. When your vinyl record is melting in your oven, take it out. The record itself won't be very hot, but your casserole will be! Turn the casserole back upside down and push the record a little to the inside of it. Now you can shape the bowl yourself. When you're done, simply take the record out of the casserole and voila! You'll have yourself a nice bowl!
Tip: The record cools down really fast but when it's too cold to form a bowl or to reform some of the shapes, simply put it back in the oven!